- Has the medicinal value of caraway and aniseed.
- Antihalitosis, antispasmodic, diuretic, carminative, galactagogue, and stomachic.
- Phytochemical analysis of seeds, leaves, and roots yielded tannins (SLR), terpenoids (SLR), saponins (S), steroid (LR), flavonoid (SLR), cardiac glycosides (SLR), and anthraquinone (S). ( 14 ) ( 15 )
- Fruits contain essential oils (carvone, limonene, phellandrene including pinene, diterpene, cineole, myrcene, myristin, apiol among others.
- Yields essential oils, fatty oil, proteins, carbohydrates, fiber, and mineral elements (calcium, potassium, magnesium, phosphorus, sodium, vitamin A and niacin).
- Seeds yield essential oil, coumarins, flavonoids, phenolic acids, and steroids.
- Seeds yield various volatile compounds. Carvone is the predominant odorant of dill seed, together with α-phellandrene, limonene, dill ether and myristicin.
- Study of hydrodistilled volatile oil from the aerial parts yielded 28 components representing % of the total chemical composition of the oil, The unsaponifiable matter and fatty acids methyl esters of the aerial parts yielded sitosterol (%) as the major sterol, followed by campesterol (%) and stigmasterol (%) and n-dotriacontane(%). Linoleic acid (%) was the major fatty acid present followed by nonadecanoic acid (%). ( 19 )
Wow Magnolia! This is a fantastic blog. Kudos to you. Anyhoo, the reason I found my way here was that my co-worker is now heading into menopause. She hasn’t had a cycle for 5 months now. She used to be the sweetest, funniest, outgoing, kindest woman that I had ever met. What a joy it was to be around her. Now, wow, I’m scared! Totally different woman. Never talks, dirty looks, mad, sad, mad again, never leaves her office, definitely not a team player, etc. I feel sooo bad for her. I want to help her but feel that she would shoot daggers at me if I tried 🙁